Clinical services are also provided to trial participants at CHRU’s research sites at Helen Joseph Hospital and Sizwe Tropical Disease Hospital in Johannesburg and King DinuZulu Hospital in Durban.
Services offered are listed below:
- Pap smears – screening procedure for cervical cancer
- HIV treatment
- TB treatment
- Voluntary counselling and testing for HIV
- The Gene Expert test for TB
- HIV oncology treatment
- ECGs or electrocardiography to record the electrical activity of the heart
- Phlebotomy or drawing blood from a participant for clinical or medical testing
- Spirometry tests use to establish how well the lungs work and to diagnose TB
- Hearing tests or audiograms.
Sizwe Tropical Hospital and King DinuZulu Hospital also offer treatment forTB, multi-drug-resistant TB (MDR-TB) and extensively multi-drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB).