The CAB holds regular outreach events and initiatives throughout the year. These are typically, but not always, linked to national and international health awareness days and months.
Patients at the Sizwe Tropical Disease Hospital in Johannesburg recently told our CAB members that they need toiletries that the hospital is not able to supply. To celebrate the spirit of Mandela Day on 18 July 2019, the CAB is arranging a special event on 24 July when about 100 patients, including children, will be given the toiletries that they need whilst in hospital. The Sizwe Tropical Disease Hospital is CHRU’s first site that is implementing CHRU’s research agenda around Drug Resistant TB (DR TB) and is the referral site for all complicated DR TB cases including paediatric cases and Extensively Drug resistant TB (XDR TB).
Our upcoming activities for Women’s Month in August this year will be posted shortly.
A range of events took place amongst our participant communities during the month of March, focusing mainly on TB awareness as March is national TB Awareness month. These included:
- 15th March 2019 – TB/ HIV awareness at the University of Johannesburg
- 25th March 2019 – Door-to-door campaign and community outreach in the Kathrada area in Johannesburg’s Region B, targeting men for TB/HIV screenings
- 26th March 2019 – One of our principal investigators and one of our CAB members spoke about TB on Radio Kofifi
- 26th March 2019 – We hosted an outreach programme in Diepsloot, Johannesburg’s Region A
- 27th March 2019 – An outreach programme at the Parkhurst hostel
Our upcoming activities will be posted shortly.